Sunday, February 2, 2020

Sarah Bergs: Project 1: Castle

Concept:
Given I play a lot of RPGs, be they video games or tabletop like Dungeons and Dragons, I decided to make my castle more like a wizard's, floating above some desolate mountain, held up by magic.


Process:
I really wanted to learn how to twist and deform meshes within Rhino, and once I figured out roughly how to do it, I created a ring of cones to hold up the orb, as well as using pyramids that are twisted to recreate swirling clouds and the spiral point of a mountain below. The rest of the castle was made using Polar Arrays to quickly duplicate things around, like the rings around the towers and the towers themselves. I greatly enjoyed the ease I had with copying things around the center, instead of having to manually rebuild and place things myself.
Materials:
Considering this is meant to be a wizard's tower, I wanted it to look dark and imposing, with stonework for the actual architecture. The mountain itself I made into marble, while the clouds are a soft plastic white I believe. While perhaps the wooden plank texture should not have been chosen for the center objects that hold up the golden orb, I thought it was fitting that they don't look entirely smooth thanks to the bump map on the plank material, which adds a new layer of complexity to them -- they're not entirely uniform.

No comments:

Post a Comment