Saturday, February 1, 2020

Hayden Staples: Project 1: Castle

Concept:
For my first project in Rhino I decided to create a European castle. I did some research here about what parts I wanted to build for my castle and decided I wanted mine to have watchtowers, turrets, and a central keep rising out of the center. For reference I used this picture of Butrón Castle in Spain. I liked Butrón Castle because it has lots of different geometry I could try to replicate in Rhino.
Process:
Final Model:
Layered Model:


I was exposed to various tools within Rhino while I was making my castle. In order to build it I relied a lot on Polar Array to create the windows around the watchtowers and the turrets, along with the battlements that go up the sides of the watchtowers. I used Extrude Curve, Curve Boolean, and Split Boolean to build the windows and walks ways in the tower. In order to make the curved battlements along the side of the walls, I used Split Boolean to cut the whole in the top.
Materials:
Environment Render:
Close Up Render:
Perspective Render:

The majority of the model uses a brick texture; in order to add some variety I made the brick on the watchtowers lighter than the rest of the geometry. The walkways and windows use the same texture but in the material graph I set the color to be grey. The Butrón Castle image I referenced was what I based the angle of my rendered image off of. Then in Photoshop I pasted the trees in the image over the castle I made. However I did not want the roofs to be a flat gray like it was at Butrón and rather looked at other sources and saw a castle with blue tops and copied it.




No comments:

Post a Comment