Sunday, February 2, 2020

Rochelle Offret: Week 1 Castle

Concept

I thought about what a castle could be, and I knew in my head there were the basic castles that we're all used to seeing in history books, childhood fairy-tales, and movies.  I didn't really want to create something like that yet I wanted to create something that I would have enjoyed as a child and would be aesthetically pleasing to my enjoyment of what I consider to be classic architecture.  So I decided to go with a space castle, that followed along the lines of a stacked coliseum, and made sure to add some of my favorite superhero's tags along the way.  





Techniques
I began by creating the base of the castle using  a tube and then mirrored it.  Then using several custom curves that I combined together I made the base floor with a Superman emblem in the center.  I realized that I would need something to keep the inhabitants of this space castle from falling through the holes of the emblem so I used several cylinders throughout the extruded curves to create a mesh for the floor, then I trimmed them so that they were only filling in the gaps.  I then worked on the pillars and railings to ensure that the lower levels were fortified.  For the top half of the castle I followed the same techniques, on a smaller scale to give it the effect I was looking for.  I also created shields for the barred walls on the upper levels from extruding custom curves, combining them, extruding them, and then used the bend tool to make them conform to the shape of the castle a little bit better.  



Materials

For the walls and columns I used a Titanium texture combined with a blue metallic paint texture.  For the floors I used a waved glass.  On the jets I used a basic anodized metal. I used these materials because I felt like they helped give it a look of majestic and impenetrable fortress. 


  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment