Sunday, February 23, 2020

Sarah Bergs : Project 2 : 3D Print

Concept:
In general when I sculpt things in 3D, I often enjoy symmetry. When it comes to the option of looping things around as well, I find it adds another layer to the model or object because then a viewer can start anywhere on the model and work their way around. There's no hard set "starting" point like say with a bust from the shoulders up -- most people tend to look at the face, the eyes, brow, nose and mouth, then spiral out to the hair, ears, jaw, then neck and shoulders. Symmetrical pieces are ones that everyone can truly pick their own path to viewing it.



Process:
For my process, I believe I started with a 12-faced polygon, then extruded out of the sides, continuing that pattern a few times to make some spikes from the center. I then made connecting bridges between the spikes, picking faces to connect to that would create a curve to get the outer shape. Once I had those, I instead switched to straight connections between sections, almost creating reinforcement for the looping sections to make the form more rigid.
I also made sure to keep both sides of the model the same as I worked, and once it was at a place I liked, I used one of the remeshing options to turn the model hollow -- leaving just the edges of each face, thus making the created model look like it was welded or made of tubes -- both structural but light at the same time.

Materials:
When taking the object to Keyshot, the more I looked at the form I had made, the more I realized that if scaled up, it would not look too unlike an architectural piece one might find tucked near stairs in a business plaza. As such, when doing my render I decided to give it a brushed steel material and placed it in an industrial area to give an example of what it could look like were it placed in the real world.


No comments:

Post a Comment