Monday, February 3, 2020

Andrew Rowan: Week 1 Castle

Concept:
My inspiration for this project was the basalt cliffs in Iceland. As well as being beautiful they provided a great opportunity to explore grasshopper algorithms. For the structures on the cliff I tried to visualize fantastic structures based based on polygons.




Process: 
I used grasshopper to make the landscape and polygon buildings. Then I set up a surface like a terrain map. For the landscape I laid out a hexgrid, took the center points of the hexagons, and set up individual hexagons around the points. Then I solved to the distance between the points and the surface I set up vertically. I extruded the hexagons to the distance and capped them. For the polyhedrons I set up a surface in grasshopper that takes the exploded polyhedron. From there I used volume to find the center of the shape and area to get the center of the section. I then set up a move along the vector between the center of the shape and the panels. I also set up a section that pipes the edges of the shapes.


Materials:
For the base I used a semi reflective black to mimic the dark basalt formations and black beaches of Iceland. I used a wood texture on the pipe to tie in with the natural theme of the landscape and give some contrast. I wanted the expanded shards to look like a material that we don't have knowledge of so I chose a texture metal, which looks odd floating, and a texture glass which, again, looks fantastical when suspended.



No comments:

Post a Comment