Monday, February 3, 2020

Nicholas Garces: Project 1 Castle

Concept: For my castle, I combined a couple of images for traditional castles and created a small castle based on castles with moats, both small and large. I wanted to make my own unique spin on a castle so I combined elements from these two and set out on learning Rhino based on what was shown in the tutorial videos.


Process: First, I started out by creating the base of the castle that would make up the outer walls. I then added the four spires using cylinders with flat-tipped cones snapped to each corner of the wall. I created a cut out for the walls and trim by creating an array of cubes and using the boolean difference command. I used basic shapes to create the flag poles and extruded a custom curve to get the flags. Curves were also used to create the door shape as well as the window shapes. An array of toroids with every other rotated 90 degrees gave me some nice chains that I positioned to look as if they were hanging from the door. To add some extra features, I created an island, moat, and bridge using basic shapes.



Materials: For the materials, I found a stone material with a displacement map to make the castle look made out of bricks. I was also able to find water, cloth, and grass materials. These materials required some tweaking in the node editor, but I was able to get everything to a good scale. I then used plastic for the glass to avoid transparency and very shiny metal for the poles and chain. All of these materials reflected a sense of realism and reflected the brick covered castles with moats I’d based my concept on.




No comments:

Post a Comment