Monday, February 17, 2020

William Goudreau: Project 3 Hammer

Concept:
My Hammer is a practical design based on a sledge hammer and medieval war hammer. I wanted to make something piratical but not boring, so I designed a hammer that on one side is spiked, for various uses, and the other is a traditional sledge hammer shape. I used these two images as reference. 


Process:
I modeled this hammer in Rhino, making extensive use of fillets and Booleans. I also used the chanfer and mirror commands for the first time. My favorite part was creating the divots on the rubber handle, for which I created an array of small cylinders and subtracted them using a Boolean. 


Materials:
The materials I chose are entirely functional. I picked brushed steel for the head of the hammer because it is an exceptionally strong and durable metal, which is ideal for an impact tool. For the handle, I used two separate materials. A yellow painted metal for the main structure, to make the tool stand out as being used in construction, and a rubber material for the handle, to provide a sturdy and comfortable grip.






No comments:

Post a Comment