Sunday, February 23, 2020

Carlos Franco: Week Five Hammer


 Week Five: War Hammer


Concept


For the "hammer" assignment I focused on replicating a design that I came up with for a drawing prompt on a whim a few years ago. The design uses fairly simple shapes, aside from a natural, wooden handle that could be a stick or branch from a tree. 

I drew the hammer in isometric perspective, so it was ready for translation into 3D space.

 "Ornate Elemental Two Handed War Hammer" - Drawing prompt

Refined sketch (2017-2018)


I wanted to add some wear and tear and make the handle more dynamic than a simple cylinder or gripped handle. The main inspiration for figuring out the shaping was "Stormbreaker," Thor's weapon from Avengers: Infinity War. I think the robust handle crafted from intertwined tree roots is a great concept.


"Stormbreaker"


Process


Rectangles compose the majority of the hammers head, with curve-tapered shapes bridging adjunct blunt ends. The blunt ends are comprised of rectangle polylines extruded to points. 

Creating the handle was probably the most challenging aspect of this assignment. I started with a basic circle extruded along an s-curve. The shape was too basic and didn't do the concept material justice. Eventually, I landed on a lofted custom-polyline with closed planar curves, which gave the handle that twisted root look. I then used the "flow" transform tool to give the handle it's curve. I also wanted to employ as many fillet edges as applicable, which really helps make the handle look more natural.

 Naked edges

Layers


Materials


Choosing materials in KeyShot was quick because the concept was simple, using just stone (concrete) and wood. I adjusted several settings to give the wood additional age rings and get the layers/color as it looks in the sketch. I lowered the reflectivity to make it look less polished, although, overall, the hammer does not look as worn as I wish it did.







No comments:

Post a Comment