Sunday, February 2, 2020

Liam Melugin: Project 1: Castle

Concept:

When it came to my castle, my decision had to be Star Wars related. I decided with my recent focus on the topic this was my best choice. As I researched for ideas, I was torn between Vader's Fortress on Mustafar and the Theed Royal Palace on Naboo. I decided that if I wanted to have a 3D print of one on my desk it would be Vader's. I then collected more reference images. I decided to make this model look somewhat like a cutout from Mustafar and including the wall and the lava.



Process:

I began modeling the landscape. This began with the central wall portion as a rough outline using rectangles and then did the same with the back lava party and the front ground and lava. I then began using a variety of shapes to get the base shape (being the green part)  of the castle modeled. I then added the orange to add more detail to the front portion. I next added the purple portions, being one of the important features of the castle. I then began using a variety of tools to add simple detail to the landscape aspects. My final additions were a lava stream flowing out of the front and the blue external portions of the castle. 



Materials:


I looked through the online library to find a material that would work for the lava. I went through a few, but this texture was just about what I was looking for. I then found a volcanic rock looking texture for the ground which was very simple to find. Finally, I attempted to look for a material that would with the look of the castle. When it came to the look of the keyshot, I added spheres with a glow material to get the red lighting I wanted. 


No comments:

Post a Comment