Sunday, February 23, 2020

Drew Psencik: Project 4 Flashlight

Concept:

For this flashlight I wanted to steer away from the traditional, block design of a flashlight. I decided that I wanted the shape to mold to the hand more so it slowly tapers in the middle that will feel nicer to hold. After designing the curve and creating the detail. I wanted the flashlight to have another use. I designed a fixture at the front of the casing to hold little discs that will affect how the light escapes. These discs would be able to be switched out fairly easily.

Modeling Techniques:






To create the initial flashlight shape, I created a curve that would match the dimensions of the flashlight while also creating some detail on each of the caps. However the slot in the top was designed at the end. I then took the outer wall and curved it in to create a more ergonomic feel. I then used the revolve tool to create the shape. From there I created a simple smooth line and used the vacuum command to shrink the line to the case and used polar array to copy them around. The slot was created by using booleanDifference on a combination of a cylinder and rectangle with a small notch out of one side. From there I modeled a disc with a star design on it, this would also have a nib sticking out allowing the disc to lock into the flashlight. 





Materials:





When texturing this flashlight I wanted to create a classy type of flashlight. I decided the combination of gold and a rich wood stain would match well and used that. The inside was a form of grid cutouts that gives the case a look that it has an additional layer adding depth. I textured the discs the same as the caps so that when inserted, they would disappear into the cap and the flashlight would just work.

No comments:

Post a Comment