Monday, February 3, 2020

Bayang Flores: Week 1 Castle

Concept
For my castle I took a lot of inspiration from the Magical Woodstock Castle that was put on the real estate in Woodstock, Connecticut. A lot of castles I looked up were based on very rectangular shapes and I appreciated that this castle in particular felt very rounded. Upon working on it, I almost felt like it could have become a jungle canopy-type home, but opted to stay true to the gothic aesthetic of the castle I had referenced. I didn't model the castle completely the same, however, as I wanted to try and still create an original design unique to itself.

 Process
To create this castle I started with four different cylinders for the bases with varying heights. I used cones to create the roofs, and drew a custom shape to make each of the brass doors along the walls of the castle and used array polar to have it repeat. I created the lamps running along the second floor with rectangles, rotated truncated cones, and an ellipse on top. I used the array polar command to have it line the perimeter, and repeated the process for each section of the castle floors. The stairs were made with a rectangle and the array linear command.  To create the arcs along the base, I made a cylinder and used the trim tool to cut out the shape of the arc, and did that along the whole balcony-base.

Materials
For the materials of my castle, I really appreciated the stone aesthetic of the Magical Woodstock Castle, so I tried to imitate that by using a clean concrete texture on KeyShot. I used cast iron for the roof, balcony and base to give it a more menacing appearance. I decided to use brushed brass to give it a kind of medieval look, despite the original castle having glass windows in the doors' place. I thought that the castle looked relatively old and menacing, but maybe next time I'll choose a type of metal that isn't so shiny to match the aesthetic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment