Sunday, February 23, 2020

Clay Purdy: Project 2

Concept: For my project I wanted to make something with a sense of movement and momentum. I decided to go with a shooting star (or comet) design. 


Process: I followed the first couple of steps from the TopMod star ball tutorial video, starting out with a decahedron and using the corner cutting tool to round it out, then I extruded the pentagons and triangles on half of the ball. I connected those extrusions with with the Add Handle Shape Tool while connecting some of them back to the ball for anchoring, creating a sort of star shape on the front. On the opposite side of the ball, I extruded some of the triangles much longer than the ones on the front and connected those extrusions with handles creating long streams breaking off from the main body. I used the Dual Sabin Extrusion tool to make the tails of the comet. To finish it up I used the Corner Cut tool again to round out the shapes, which gave the tails a nice, knife like tips. Anything I did from there rounded out those tips and give the overall piece a weird shape. So I left it there. 



Materials: I chose a rough blue translucent plastic for the material to give it a white hot comet look, and also because I like shiny things.

No comments:

Post a Comment