Monday, February 17, 2020

Rahul Nair: Project 3 Hammer

Concept:

My hammer is based on the video game Overwatch, it's the hammer that the character Reinhardt uses. I don't love the game or anything I just think he's got a cool hammer. It has a futuristic take on an old German warhammer. I didn't want to exactly recreate his hammer, so instead I took my own interpretation on it.

Image result for reinhardt's hammer overwatch

Process:

I started similarly to the flashlight by drawing a profile for the main handle. This included the bottom metal bits and the connecting area at the top. After drawing it, I added fillets and chamfers throughout to make the pieces more realistic. Once I had that profile finished, I revolved it and had the handle essentially complete. I added some truncated cones on the bottom of the handle to match the original. For the head, I switched to front view and utilized another truncated cone. From this point I just added features using the same/similar methods. I utilized polar arrays throughout it, for the outcroppings on the head and the exhausts on the back especially. The exhausts were also initially truncated cones but I used boolean difference and some arrayed pipes to create the effect it ended up having.


Materials:

For the materials, I used a brushed dark steel for the head to give it a worn look. The lighter silver parts are a similar brushed steel but much brighter. The handle and connectors throughout are all a much darker metallic material, like a hard iron beam. I then used area light materials on the glowing sections which give the whole thing a different vibe just from the lighting.


No comments:

Post a Comment