Monday, February 17, 2020

Nicholas Garces: Project 3 Hammer

Concept
When thinking of tools, I became interested in how one might go about creating a sharp blade and wanted to incorporate this into my design. After looking through some options, I decided to model an axe due to its large metal head and complex geometry. I looked through several types and eventually stuck to a throwing axe design that had hexagonal cut-outs and a sleek look.


Process
I began by drawing out curves to help conceptualize the axe that could be easily extruded to create the head. To create the sharp blade, I knew I wouldn’t want to just fuse the edges together, since no matter how sharp an edge, it is never a cusp of two faces. I used the chamfer command several times to slowly bring the edges closer and closer. This required some editing after the fact but was well worth it. After this, I created the handle by creating curves to get the handle and mount shape and using the sweep2 command to create a smooth transition between the two. After that, it was some simple booleans and fillets to get the rest of the cutouts down. I experimented with the box edit tool to warp the axe head allowing me to adjust the shape along the z-axes keeping the faces of the axe from being too flat.
 




Materials
I used a metal material that looked more metallic than the one shown in my reference because I liked the contrast between the handle and axe head more than just a black color between the two. I surfaced the handle with a rough plastic and placed it within an environment that game interesting reflections to the metal to add more color into an otherwise simplistic look.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment