Sunday, February 23, 2020

Liam Melugin: Project 2

Concept:

My concept was to create an abstract version of the Great Ground Finch (Geospiza magnirostris). I chose this because I was always fascinated by the Galapagos Islands and the finches found there. The Great Ground Finch was always my favorite because of its large beak leading to my decision. I wanted to create something physical that I could display.


Process:

I began with a dodecahedron and proceeded to use the fractal tool, loop style tool, and the double stellate tools to create a ball with mainly star-shaped geometry. I then used the rind modeling scale mode to remove all but the major star shapes. I then brought the ball back into rhino. I then used the 3D-scale, bend, stretch, and taper tools to morph the object. I used these until it began to resemble the head shape of the finch.


Materials: 

For my materials, I decided to go with a metallic material. I wanted it to be a darker color and then proceeded to go with an adonized aluminum. I decided that the preset didn't achieve the desired color so I edited it. The first thing I did was change the metal to Niobium and then changed the anodized values until it was just how I wanted it.


No comments:

Post a Comment