Monday, February 24, 2020

Emily Barry: Flashlight


Inspiration:


For this project I wanted to create something with an aesthetic of bees because with my last name being Barry, I was always called Little B growing up. The honey dipper was the starting point of my design, and influenced the shape. I like bees, and I thought that it would make for an interesting flashlight cover. 


Modeling Techniques:

The tip of the flashlight cover dips in and out in rings so that it looks like the end of a honey dipper. the bottom of the flashlight cover has honey comb shape cutouts and indentations. Each honey comb ring gets a little smaller until they break away and float up the cover. I like the cutout honey comb shapes because it breaks up the side of the cover, and I have a blue flashlight so it will create an interesting contrast. I added a bee to really make it clear what the design is, and to try an create a more complex shape in Rhino. It creates a focal point and makes it interesting to look at overall. 

Materials: 


I chose a cloudy yellow plastic for the base material. It is reminiscent of honey, and I like the way the light shines through it. The bee body is made of gold metal, with the stripes being a dark purple metal. The wings are a a shiny lavender paint. I wanted the bee to be reminiscent of jewelry. I am very happy with this design and can't wait to print it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment