Thursday, February 20, 2020

Aleena Mir: Project 3 Hammer

Concept:

For my hammer, I wanted to explore the idea of using this robot creature (Dalek) from the show, Doctor Who and incorporate it's features into my hammer, with a little bit of my own twist. While working on it, I realized there was a lot of elements I wouldn't be able to include in the hammer without it looking uneven, weird, and busy, such as the ears, part of it's head, and it's hands, but I was still able to make it work.

Process:

I started off with watching the videos provided by Professor Scott to create the head of it, with my own alterations. I attempted to make the claw part of the head a little longer and skinnier, however it just ended up being wider more than anything. I made the head shape using the curves and revolve tool. The head shape is different than the one included in the picture above, because in the show there are a few variations of how these creatures look like, so I changed the head to a different one.
I used fillet edge tool to round the claw of the hammer and moved on to the body. For the body/handle, I used a truncated pyramid to get a similar effect as the robot. I used a series of spheres and boolean difference to make the domes surrounding the robot. I then made the neck with circle curve, line curve, and the sweep 2 tool. Next, I boolean joined everything so I was able to put fillets on every edge. I filleted the joint between the head and the claw, the joints from both ends of the neck, and all the edges and domes of the handle. In the head, I knew I wanted to put a blue bulb to mimic the light that the robot has, so I boolean joined a cylinder and sphere to create a bulb-type shape, and put it in the hole of the head. I then added detailing around the head to give it more effect. I check for naked edges, and it was all clear. I would have loved to add stuff to claw, but when I was playing around with what features I could add to the claw such as the little light bulb ears that the robot has on its head, but none of them looked right, so I left it plain.



Materials: 

For the materials, I wanted it mostly made out of a metal such as a regular hammer and the robot. The head is made of rough textured black colored metal. I made the neck between the claw and handle a rough textured chrome metal. I realized that I should have made the neck between the head and claw a different color, such as silver, but I had no idea how to fix that issue after I finished the whole project. For the claw and the handle, I took the copper material as a base, and changed the texture and color to be more bronze and rough, like the actual robot. I wanted the domes on the hammer to be black and shiny, so I used black marble to get that effect. I discovered a light material and used that for the bulb and changed it to blue to get the glowing effect. Overall I am very happy with how it looks.





No comments:

Post a Comment