Monday, February 24, 2020

Twinkle Shah: Flashlight Model





Concept




Inspiration: 

I wanted to take my flashlight model in a mystical direction by creating a model that resembles a magical wand. I did not model my flashlight after a particular wand that I found, but I did like some characteristics of the ones below, particularly the 3rd one from the right.


Image result for wand
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61HXIBPyAtL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
From Ernst Haeckel's Art Forms in Nature




I also took some inspiration from the illustrations in Art Forms in Nature. I liked the fluidity and mystery of the filament like objects in these illustrations, especially the middle object. I thought it would go really well with the mystery and whimsy for a magic wand.


 Process
 
Flashlight Wand in Rhino with Layers


Flashlight Wand in Rhino - Painted Black









modeling process: To create my model, I created a curved polyline for the base of the model. I put some rounded rectangle shapes near the top and the bottom of this line, and then used CurveBoolean to join the curves so that I could revolve it. After that, I created a pipe out of the segment of the curve that aligns to the main body, and then made a pipe out of that of varying thickness. I created a curve to trim that object at the top in a slant, and then used the same curve to extrude and re-cap the pipe. I then used an ArrayPolar to create 4 of these snake like pipes all around the body. I added some tourouses near the neck of the flashlight, overlapping. At the top and at the bottom, I put small diamond shaped boxes in an ArrayPolar for added detail. At the top, I also did a BooleanDifference with a tourous. Lastly, I filleted as many edges as possible for a smooth design.











Materials
I used anodized niobium brushed purple for 2 of the rings at the top as well as the snake like structures along the body of the object. For the thicker ring, I used a tourmaline pink gemstone.The diamond shape details at the top and bottom are in copper brushed 90.


UPDATE: 3D Printed Sleeve 

Here are some images of the 3D Printed Sleeve in black!







No comments:

Post a Comment