Sunday, February 16, 2020

Hayden Staples: Project 3 Hammer

Concept:

For my concept I wanted to do something kind of old and something that was not exactly a hammer. So I looked for ancient Meso-American tools and found this image of a Mayan axe-hammer that I really liked.

Process:

The axe I created has three main parts. The handle, the rock, and the rope binding the other two together. Each needed separate tools and processes to create. In order to make the andle, I simply revolved a profile that bowed toward the inside to give it a natural shape. I used fillets to smooth out any rough edges once it was created. The rock was a little more difficult to make. I originally straight extruded a shape that looked like a pancake version of Grimace. Then I created Surfaces that cut out pieces of it so it looked more triangular rather than a prism. Once it resembled a sharp version of the shape I wanted I used the Fillet Edge command in combination with its Add Handle function to give the rock an unevenness. Finally for the rope, I created a sequence of circles that went across the handle. Once I created these circles I created a wire that traveled through the center of these circles, and I pied the wire. I had to repeat this step a lot around the back knot of the rope.
See the Top Message for Naked Edges

Materials:

For the handle I applied a wood texture and upped the grain count so that it looked a little busy. For the Rock I applied a concrete texture. For the rope I added a bump diffusion ad a texture for rope I found online. Then I made the rope texture blend with a light brown color to make it look like older yarn/rope.


No comments:

Post a Comment