Sunday, February 2, 2020

Ivy Skross: Project 1 Castle

Concept:

I used gothic German cathedral designs to inspire my castle. They use a lot of towers and spires in their architecture and I wanted to capture that in a more exaggerated way. I wanted my castle to look spikey and a little imposing while also having an elegant silhouette. The overhead view of my castle resembles a cross which was customary of cathedrals built in the gothic style. The dome is a more contemporary idea but still holds a place in the design. 

Perspective View

Techniques:


Blacked Out View

One of the modeling techniques I used was a command called BooleanDifference. This process creates holes in the model that serve as windows and doors. I used it to create the long windows on the side which add to the profile. I also used it to add two doors. I mostly used curves to make the shapes in my model To make the spires, I took truncated cones and pyramids and stacked smaller, cones or pyramids on top to create a layered look. I used control point curves to create the land mass and water that my structure sits on top of.


Ghosted View

Materials:


I wanted the materials of my castle to resemble a model of a castle that could exist in the real world. So the materials needed to hammer in the idea that it is a small scale recreation of something. I used a wood texture on the buildings and towers that looked a little bit like fake bricks giving it a toy-like appearance. For the land, I used a black brushed metal. I really liked the texture of it next to the blue glass that I used for the water. It makes a convincing model base. For the walls, I used a more subtle wood plank texture overtop a slightly different shade of grey than the buildings. It creates a little bit of a contrast between the two layers. The spires serve as my design's color pop. I used a metallic red material that looks great with the way the light hits it. These spires are the focal points of my design so I wanted them to pop.

Side Profile View









No comments:

Post a Comment