Sunday, February 23, 2020

Rochelle Offret: Project 3 - Hammer

Concept: For the hammer I wanted to explore making a hammer that was more of a functional weapon and tool.  I gained the majority of my inspiration for this project from a meat cleaver, and Elder Scrolls: Skyrim. The Champions Cudgel is much larger in the game making it a two handed weapon.  I wanted to create something that realistically be more like a hammer and weapon combo. I used this image for my reference.


Process: I started off using curves to create the majority of the shapes for the hammer.  Then using extrusions, revolves, and rails, I created the main components of the hammer. For the peaks on the head of the hammer I created one cone, and then used an array to fill the rest of the face across the x and y axis. I also created some basic embellishments with ellipses and circles, while using Boolean difference to get the effect I wanted from them. I then went around the entire hammer and either filleted or chamfered every edge.  I found that I enjoyed the chamfered edges on the base of the hammer more than a filleted edge, and felt that it gave the hammer a bit more of an authoritative look.








     


Materials: For materials I wanted mostly some form of metal, except in the handle I wanted a leather type wrap for grip. For the head, claw and the majority of the base, I went with a brushed steel, and darkened the color a bit.  For the embellishments on the base is used a brushed copper and a rough niobium.  On the handle I use an earthy dark brown leather and polished niobium on the embellishments.






No comments:

Post a Comment