Monday, February 27, 2017

Anisha Chaudhary: Week 08 Prosthetic Leg



Concept:
I imagined my prosthetic leg as a fashion statement initially. The idea of having prosthetic heels that are see through seemed interesting. I then thought of what Aimee Mullins was saying and how the children she was talking to said she could have super abilities, including the ability to fly. I decided to make mine into a super human prosthetic to give the user the ability to fly. I added rings across it to make it aesthetically pleasing. Each will be filleted to make a soft edge. The heels will have holes in the sole to make them very light. The wings will be sharp and with fairy like tips.
 Techniques:I will use the Crv2View command to create the heel. I will then use Loft to close it. I will use a solid paraboloid that I manipulate to make the opening of the heel. I will use custom made curves to make the holes in the heel.
Image result for vines stencil
 For the rings I will use torus shapes and resize them. I will use a planar cut to separate the back from the front. I will use custom curves for the wings and use a sweep2 to close them.
Materials:
I will have to experiment with color concepts for this shoe. Part of me is thinking of making it sleek with white plastic and gold. That is if I continue with a futuristic fashion statement. I am also thinking of doing light green colors to make it fairy like. I think this piece can go in a lot of directions using different materials.









The technique I used the most for this project was Boolean2Objects. This is what I used to make the cut outs in the heel. I traced a curved vine image I found and used it for the decoration on the heel. I had a lot of trouble getting the top, foot shape of the heel correctly. I ended up using Network Srf, but I was told later on that maybe Loft would have been better to use. I also had a lot of trouble filleting edges. On the wings, since the tips are so sharp, fillets would overlap and get ruined. The filleted edges would become naked edges so I had to delete some. I used a handle to try and fix this but unfortunately it didn't work correctly for me. I chose two different walnut woods as my material. I love the way the design looks in the wood, it reminds me of old fashioned chairs with carvings through them. I thought this still fit my initial fairy theme because of the color scheme. I think a more leafy material would be appropriate for the wings but then I would have to go back definitely reduce the thickness of the wings. I used rust on my pipe so that it doesn't stick out in the images. 

No comments:

Post a Comment