Sunday, February 5, 2017

Jeremiah Baker - Hammer

ghosted painted black

ghosted with material assignments

render 01

render 02



Concept:
     This hammer was inspired by the rock hammer used in 'The Shawshank Redemption'. 

Modeling Techniques:

     For the head, I decided to try out the creation from curves instead of solid objects. Creating the curves and basic shape turned out to be the easy part. After extruding the curves for the head into solid object, I used a small fillet on the edges to smooth out the surface. I wanted to add some weathering to the head, so I created some other basic filleted objects and used Boolean Difference to cut out a few divots.
     For the handle, I created the base shape and extruded it up into a handle. I then exploded the object and used control points to warp the handle into shape. Then, I used a larger fillet on the ends.
     The metal dowels were created with simple cylinders that were filleted on the edges.

Materials:
     For the handle, I used the procedural wood texture and scaled down the rings so they would fit more with the accurate size of the model. The metal dowels were created using a rough steel texture. I wanted the head to look worn, so I used a scaled down old steel texture with an applied bump map to add some divots and make it look a bit worn.


No comments:

Post a Comment