Monday, February 6, 2017

Randall Villegas: Week04 Mouse


 Concept: The idea of a mouse is pretty boring at a base level. There are ways to to make them look more interestingly aesthetically, of course, but I wanted to make something that was more than just a mouse. I looked around the web for gadgets and the like and I finally got to looking at some drones and decided that would be the perfect mixture. So I went to work on making a drone mouse hybrid.
   
   I wanted a clean and simple looking shell, I saw a few design where the left and right mouse button were the entire top of the mouse instead of any separation of the front and back. Black and white are also simple colors that fit a modern design.

   For the innards, I really wanted it to appear functional, So I spent a lot of time making sure everything would fit and thinking about how to balance the fans for the object.I wanted the fan blades and battery to be red to give them a little interest since they were so much smaller than the rest of the model and key pieces that separate them from being a normal mouse.


 Modeling: I made a curve for the side, and front view of the mouse clicker and connecting curves in the middle and used loft to create the a surface. This I extruded to a solid and mirrored to the other side. Using the clickers as reference, I used the mouse buttons as a guide to create the base with the curve tool which I extruded to an appropriate thickness.I created the center piece of the base that holds the mouse wheel using the side curve from the mouse button to create an extrusion which I connect to the base.With the detail added to the base, I used a difference Boolean on the mouse buttons to give a snug fit. I left the outer edges not touching to leave room for clicking.
   The fan blades  I made by making a basic outline of the propeller shape I wanted and creating ellipse to use for a sweep 2. The hinges for the fans were made with simple primitives adjust to fit my liking.These were all made so they would be able to fold in under the closed mouse and flex out far enough for the fans to extend passed the mouse.
   The inside has a battery and battery dock which were made with simple primitives and a boolean difference on the dock to set the battery





Materials: Basically all models drones and mice I saw were plastic so I kept that style going for my model. The fans, base and mouse buttons have a hard rough plastic on them to give it a clean but not slippery look. The battery has a shiny plastic added to it to give it a little more separation from the rest of the model, especially since it is tucked away in the interior.






No comments:

Post a Comment