Monday, February 20, 2017

Michelle Ignacz: Week 06 Prosthetics Work in Progress

Upon start-up of the prosthetic design to fully flesh it out, I came onto the problem of trying to create the shell for the upper arm and forearm. I tried different ways to construct it until I thought of just placing the original arm prosthetic mesh provided and placing it into a cylinder and using BooleanDifference to acquire the mold of the arm and then exploding the mesh to remove the outer edges leaving me with a nice clean shell to work from. From there I made a copy and used Scale2D to stretch out another casing of the shell and provide an outer shell that I could eventually use Trim/BooleanDifference to create the desired casing of the prosthetic base. Unfortunately around here, I began to run into some errors where some faces were creating a twisted mess across the whole mesh which I did not notice until turning off the shaded view and back to ghosted. This resulted in trying to find a solution to the problem until just giving up my losses and starting fresh, making sure to watch out for whatever happened before. I have the base design of the upper arm and forearm complete with the rivets and extra plating still needing adjustment and then I'll head on back up the forearm to see what I can do to create the feather armband near the top. It is taking me a lot slower to work on this compared to the other projects due the fact that I am trying to go off of a reference now instead of making it up as I go along. I still am creating it all up, but there's areas of the design that are giving me difficulty due to the fact that I cannot think of what the area would look like. Another area I am having difficulty the most is the fingers... I did not realize at first the fingers were not straight so I am trying to see if my mold technique will still work but so far it is not yielding the same results yet. If there are any suggestions please let me know. I would greatly appreciate it. I'll be posting up some more mock-up designs of the areas that I am focusing on currently later as I draw them up. Here's what I got so far though.

Prosthetic Progress Shot 01

Prosthetic Progress Shot 02

Prosthetic Progress Shot 03

Sketches

PictureFrame is also not working on my home desktop so I also had to fight with that even more in the beginning trying to update it so my work is being based off of the reference picture for sizing and placement instead of PictureFrame. Also any good ideas to help build the wrist and the hand together on the inside? I am very stumped on how the mechanics may be placed.


No comments:

Post a Comment