Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Jason Doze: Week 4 Mouse

Ghosted/ Naked Edges

Exploded/ Layered 

Reference

Reference 

Shot 1 

 
Shot 2



Concept: My concept for this mouse project was to go way out of the box and my thought was futurist, wireless, illuminating and with a lack of buttons or physical movement.  I had first envisioned a stealth fight with its low profile geometry.  Then I begin to see it as a self illuminating diamond like technology.  So I converged the two ideas and came up with this futuristic mouse concept.

Technique:  I used a series of polygons and mirrored them to get the overall shape, then I extruded them and adjusted the control points to get the different angles I was looking for and then I mirrored that once again to save time.  I had some funky surfaces on a few of them so I went back for a surface blend to remedy that problem and it worked out easily.  I used polygon line, boolean difference for the sphere divets, filet on the spheres and alt_drag, mirror, and join.  I have a lot of un-fileted edges here but that's the look I was going for, when I tried to filet the edges not only did I lose the geometric look but I had many issues with naked edges and crossing filets that I was unable to deal with.

Materials: To achieve the futuristic look and enhance the geometry, I went with clear and semi transparent materials.  I used gem stones, glass, emissive light, anodized metal and plastic for the mouse and it took hours to render.  I think it was a success because the transparency gave the mouse a depth and geometry that I wasn't seeing in any other material combinations



No comments:

Post a Comment