Monday, February 27, 2017

Rebecca Genung: Week 08 Prosthetic



For my concept I wanted to create a prosthetic leg that resembled that of a Theropod, specifically one that resembled a Dinosaur. I have always admired dinosaurs, specifically Theropods as they developed a larger, quicker, and less complex form of bipedal movement millions of years before man. The evolutionary significance of Theropoda is quite impressive, and that is without going into the detail of the individual species. I take great joy in the near constant discoveries we have made in recent years in regard to figuring out these amazing creatures who once ruled the world. The best part is that dinosaurs didn't die out entirely and their legacy goes on in the form of birds: the best fliers, in both maneuverability and energy use, to ever live on Earth. The overall form of athletic prosthetic tend to resemble Theropod anatomy to begin with. Hypothetically, this would be a cover for a proper blade prosthetic. 

When the entire thing is broken: fix everything.





For my technique, I redid everything: including the design. In my origanal, I tried to push my boundaries by attempting an organic form and I grossly overestimate my abilities. I apologize. This model is all done with previous techniques. I filleted what I could. The bases, orbs, and pole are modified shapes. Everything else was created from curves.

 


For material, I exclusively used metals. I used titanium for the inside base pieces and the center pole. The "padding" and blades are chrome. I originally had the whole piece silver-colored but I found it to be too gray-scale, so I changed the materials of the crests to blue zinc and the orbs to a blue smooth metal I manually made darker.

1 comment: