Monday, February 27, 2017

Michelle Ignacz: Week 08 Prosthetic

Arm Prosthetic Layers

Arm Prosthetic No Naked Edges

Arm Prosthetic Shot 01

Arm Prosthetic Shot 02

Arm Prosthetic Shot 03


So upon modeling my prosthetic, I wanted to keep the idea of usability as well as aesthetic appeal attached to the arm. I saw the idea that the prosthetic would be used by someone who had lost their lower half of their arm from the elbow down, allowing for attachment to their upper arm and their remaining stump to fit into the forearm prostheses. My original concept design was reminiscent of an Aztec and Roman design so I modeled off of that and just the overall flow of what would work and what would not as I modeled in Rhino.
Upon modeling in Rhino, I came into many difficulties, one of them modeling the main basis of the arm and the fingers. The fingers, I must honestly say, gave me the most problems throughout the whole designing and modeling process. Whether Trim, BooleanDifference, Loft, BooleanUnion, and etc was not working properly, I was having to take back alley routes to achieve my desired results. A lot of the time, I feel like it was just me finagling it along until Rhino said, "Yep, I'll do that now." So tiresome it was trying to fight it.. I used most of the process of copy the fingers after I achieved the first one to save myself time on trying to model another after the original. Although I will admit, I did do a bit of a molding technique from the original given model of the female arm to get the base of the body and adjusting everything from there. Everything else was created by lines and extruding the curves and using ArrayPolar to spin it around the top of the arm or around the wrist-let. I had to painstakingly create the laces by hand with a poly-line and rearranging it through the loops. Once finished, I was able to use Pipe and give the laces some thickness. After modeling all the shapes, it was only filleting some of the edges to get the final results. Once finished I decided upon going with a Roman aesthetic touch for material choices based off of the finished product.
For the materials I used red oak for the lower half of the arm, adjusting the texture map accordingly to give it a nice carved look. The upper half of the prosthetic I used a red leather and increased the roughness of the material to give it a nice used look. Trying to stick to the Roman look, I used a white ceramic for the nails to give it a nice manicure appearance. I used anodized brushed orange for the "feathers" and used steel ultra scratched for the bands around the arm, bracelet, and the middle rods. It may be a nice fancy prosthetic, but I feel like no matter what that it would get dinged one way or another. I applied gold 18k to the plating on the wood just because it helps bring attention to the lovely wood and distracts away from the fact of it being a "plain" wooden prosthetic. For the laces towards the top, I could not really think of any other material besides perforated leather material. I didn't see any reason to attach any pretty decoration to simple laces. The same with the ball joints in the hand. I applied glass cubes black for aesthetic appeal and to better see the joint balls. After finished I was finally greeted with a beautiful Roman female arm. It glimmers and shines, but still holds a type of dignified response behind it.


Original Sketch

No comments:

Post a Comment