Saturday, February 4, 2017

Michelle Ignacz: Week 04 Hammer

Hammer No Naked Edges

Hammer Layers

Hammer Shot01

Hammer Shot 02

Hammer Shot 03

Design Influence


 For design influence I had used the idea of a gun shell attached to the end of a hammer and having a standard handle to hold. I gave it a round ball edge so that whenever the user is swing away and feels that their hand is too close to hammer's head, they would have the ball their to prevent them from going down any further. It also helps add more potential weight onto the hammer for a harder impact upon any surface.
For modeling I basically created my own hammer head by creating my own line segments as a base and then extruding the curves to form the head. To help give it more roundness around the head, I applied a sphere and controlled pointed the segments so that they were more round. I ended up keeping the sphere just due to its interesting flavor it gave to the hammer. It helped break up the straight shot look. I continued to use the line segments and the sphere to keep modeling further down to the handle and back up. Most of the bottom section of the hammer, I had used mirror and then extrudecrvs to give it a balanced look. For any indentation present, I used a mixture of booleandifference and trim to help achieve the desired look. The only place where I applied a different technique was on the handle where I had used pipe and then booleandifference to give a hand grip to the hammer. I did have to work my way around some issues on the head by duplicating the head twice and employing a mixture of trim and booleandifference to achieve the faces that I wanted and joining them to the body I needed. After all this, I used filletedge to give a more rounded surface that gives it a more solid feel and not something so static and factory-cut.
 Sticking to a basic material layout, I applied anodized brushed black to the head and handle, aluminum hammered around the base of the hammer and handle, and brass squares to the ball for the pop effect. I wanted a simple etiquette appearance of the hammer and not draw too much attention around flashy colors. I felt that simplicity was a good choice for the material selection.

No comments:

Post a Comment