Sunday, February 5, 2017

Darrius Williams:Week 4 Hammer









Concept:
For my hammer design I wanted to merge a few concepts into one. I first though of what I wanted overall in a hammer's shape, for that I referenced war hammers, mostly those of viking age mostly because I'm a big metal fan and many bands in the genre reference vikings at one point or another which connected with my next reference. One of the bands that i listen to most and have seen the most is Ghost (B.C.) so I took some cues in my original design from their "square hammer" in their new single as well as a call out to the instrumentalists of the band "the nameless Ghouls" by using their alchemy symbols in the hammer head.






Technique:

to build my hammer I started by using curves to get the shape i wanted for the ends. I wanted the hammer to be symmetrical,very blocky looking from the end view but curvy in its profile. so the base curve shape is reminiscent of a dog collar pendent( dog bone shaped). Then I used the sweep 2 to bridge the to curves into a solid. then I used a similar technique we employed during the light saber model to make my handle. for detail and to finish rounded and chamfered the hammer ends and the handle its self as well as Boolean difference some alchemy symbols I made with curves into both sides of the hammer.


Materials. the hammer itself is comprised of to materials. Metal and wood, the metal was a blue anadized steel that I added a crack texture to the bump made to give it some age. the wood is a grey-brown like wood that I choose because it had the appearance of being waterlogged and old to go alone with the cracked metal of the hammer head.


No comments:

Post a Comment