Sunday, February 5, 2017

Jason Doze: Week 4 Hammer

Naked Edges


Explode/Layers 


Shot 1

Shot 2 

Reference 

 Concept: My concept here was to have a functional hammer and axe combination, not necessarily as a modern tool, but as a multi-use weaponized version of a hammer.  I wanted to give it a Celtic style but had some issues carrying out that vision so I tried to amend that with styling it in metal.  I also wanted this tool to look very clean, light, and potentially expensive.


Technique: I used boolean difference, extrude, mirror, alt-drag, and boolean union most to create the hammer.  I had some difficutlties with naked edges that I had to deal with after I made the sharp end of the them axe edge.  I was going to add some Celtic design and tried doing so with pipe and difference but for some reason I was unable to get the boolean difference to work for me and had to abandon the design altogether due to time constraints.


Materials:  I used scratched steel for the axe blade and hammer,  copper for the welds and brass for the connection of the hammer to the axe, as well as the handle.  I kept parts of the tool I thought would have less wear and tear polished to help achieve the high end look.  On the handle and the finger grooves I used a circular dot pattern that had almost a braided metal look, but after the rendering, it seemed to disappear.


No comments:

Post a Comment