Monday, February 27, 2017

Griffin Korns: Week 8 Prosthetic




My design was imitating a grasshoppers leg, modified for greater visual effect and geometry, as well as to retain the basic outline of a human leg.



I first drew a series of curves outlining the human leg, giving me guidelines for where to place following curves to build off of it. For the leg sections I split the main leg outline curves with a plane, then created an appropriate curve off the back to get the pointy lip featured on each one. I repeated that process for each section - patching the holes on the top and bottom as well. I then drew curves for the spikes, lofted them into 3D, then used control points to make each one unique. I then split the leg sections with curves, then patched the gaps created by moving the split sections inwards. For the inner support I moved the original leg outlines inwards, manipulated their dimensions, and lofted them.



My original plan was to use a modified human translucent texture for the sections, but it wasn't capable of a reasonable render time. In its place I used the stipple version of Mold-Tech, to mimic the style of the human texture, as well as create a rougher surface so it didn't look as boring and perfect as it would have with a regular gloss paint. The undersides of the sections are the splatter Mold-Tech in a brighter green for contrast and different texturing. The spikes are an anodized brushed metal, designed to be the highlight of the prosthetic. The inner support piece is a black/red weave carbon fiber, intended to not be flashy, but contain nice, subtle details available upon inspection.



No comments:

Post a Comment