Monday, February 27, 2017

Hannah Revelle- Week 8 - Ski Boot








Concept

For my concept I went with style over function. After watching the videos in class of the world leading makers of prosthetic I realized if I had a prosthetic I would want it to look like a real leg and match what my other leg looks like. I recently went skiing so I was inspired to try the ski boots complicated design. I kept the attachment simple because I believe that the user should be able to slide out of their boot fairly easy in case of crashes. This is called a yard sale when you crash hard the skis should fall off to prevent injures.  

I am not the best at sketches so I used this image as my reference image 
https://www.vectorstock.com/royalty-free-vector/ski-boot-vector-4718862




Technique 

For my boot unique style of the body I need to follow the original body shape. I made several copies of the body and used a large cube to BooleanDifference cut it to make the angles as I needed than slightly scaled up the piece to give the body depth and variety. 
for the clips I made the curve I wanted to follow against the body and either piped it or surface extrude. 
I manipulated a lot of points to get my pieces to fit as perfect as I could. I only used two primitives for the Velcro strap on top and the metal pieces to connect to the leg piece.
For all the groves I used a cube and BooleanDifference (BD) to cut them out. 

I had a problem with my object to close off at the top and after playing around I eventually used BD to cut out a perfect cover of my piece that I than union to the top to close it off. I than used cylinders to open it back up. 

main tools I used often- BooleanDifference/union, create curve, extruded srf and curve, pipe, scale, and copy 

Materials

The body of a Ski Boot is a hard plastic with metal where you clip in. The inside of the boot is a soft cushion fabric that I mimicked on the attachment. I just followed slandered materials for a classic ski boot with colors I thought looked appealing 

No comments:

Post a Comment