Monday, February 27, 2017

Michael Creamer: Week 8 Prosthetic


My concept for the prosthetic was a leg that could be more of a functional advantage over an ordinary leg. I wanted to look military-esque like a WW2 Jeep with clunky shapes that feel powerful. The spring would ideally improve the wearer's ability to both run and jump.


For the two main leg pieces I modeled it a bit like a traditional sculpture. I started with a block and using boolean difference, I cut away all of the parts I didn't want. For the foot, I drew a curve, which i then extruded and capped. The arrows beneath the foot were made from curves that I projected and extruded. Around many of the edges are pipes, meant to be reminiscent of the welding between Jeep parts.


For material and color, I was originally planning on army greens with grey metals, but it didn't draw focus to the important areas and didn't work overall. I experimented with a nike style color scheme that I think worked much better. Neon green for the foot, spring and handle and grayscale metal for the other pieces. I wanted the spring to be as shiny as possible to get that nice highlight around each step of it. I also played with a red and rose gold variation that seemed like it would sell for a little extra cash. 


No comments:

Post a Comment