Monday, February 6, 2017

Melanie Estes: Week 4 Hammer

View 1

     For some reason, when I thought of what to use to make my hammer more cute and humorous than weathered and useful, I thought of a clown whose large red nose is the blunt end of the tool. I image the hammer is more of a toy rubber mallet than a hammer, and when used, the nose squishes a little and releases a honking noise. I decided to use the hair as the nail removing end. I went more for a classic clown with curly orange hair, polka dots, big red shoes, and of course the red nose. To add to the creepy vibe I always associate with clowns, I made the head flat to better imitate a hammer than a real person. I chose not to include a tie because, in my opinion, clowns are very casual.

Ghosted Painted Black

Layer Assignments

     I created the head by creating a plane, cutting it with curves to resemble the head and the open mouth, filling it to be a surface and extruding it to the appropriate width. I made the nose and the hat by revolving curves. I used the sweep two rails tool demonstrated in class to make the handle, which happens to be the neck and body. I made the arms in much the same way, but I also edited the points to add more shaping. I combined the arms to the body by projecting and ellipse to the body, using it to cut a hole, and using blend surface. I tweaked the settings to make the blend look more curved and seamless, much like a shoulder. I made the hand by drawing the shape of it, filling it to be a surface, and extruding it straight. I made it curved to sit on the body using the cage edit tool. I made the hair by using boolean union to combine multiple spheres. I split it in half, slid them apart, and extruded the edges of one side to combine with the other. I made the negative space to resemble a hammer by creating a curve, extruding it as a surface, and subtracting it from the existing surface using boolean difference. I made the eyes out of two ellipses combined to each other, and then to the face. I made the belt and upturn of the pants by creating a curve to go around the surface, creating a rectangle with rounded edges, and using the sweep one rail. I made the shirt collar the same way aside from using sweep two rails to add the shaping in the front. The shoes started as ellipses, then were rebuilt to have more points. I moved and scaled the points, also using the set point tool, to make the shape of the shoe. The sole is made of a curve that traces the end of the feet that was extruded into a solid surface. I made the sleeve cuffs in the same way, drawing the profile shape as a curve and extruding. I made the flower starting with a scaled thinner sphere. I created and rebuilt an ellipse and shaped the points to resemble a petal. I then used array polar to evenly space out five petals around the center sphere. I placed it on the shirt using the orient to surface tool under the Transform menu. The buttons are made of simple cylinders, with four cylinder cutouts to make the sewing holes. I copied the buttons and placed them down the shirt and on the cuffs. I combined everything into one piece using boolean union several times. As per this week's theme, I used fillet edges throughout the piece. I used it to make the buttons look more appropriately rounded. I filleted the edges on the hand at a smaller radius to not loose the defined lines of the fingers. The edges on the shoe soles are filleted, but the true bottom of the shoe is at a smaller radius than the top to better imitate real shoes. The face and especially the mouth cut used a higher radius. I also filleted the edge where the neck and the nose both meet the head. I made the neck edge especially larger to try and imitate a seamless line.

View 2
     I mostly used plastic materials and fabrics. I used a rough plastic for the nose, but shiny plastics for the eyes. I used a shiny plastic for the hair as well, and added the brushed texture to the color. I used fabric materials on the hat, shirt, and pants. I used the image here for the coloring on the pants, while keeping the fabric texture for the bump map. I made the skin a matte plastic, and selected the geometry of the face to color it slightly lighter to be like makeup. The belt is a leather material, and the shoes are a matte plastic. The soles of the shoes are a mold-tech scaled down to the appropriate size. The middle of the flower is a plastic with some noise textures, but the petals are simply shiny plastic. The buttons are a cloudy plastic. I chose the colors based on my personal image of a clown.

View 3

View 4

View 5

No comments:

Post a Comment