Monday, February 27, 2017

Jose Diaz - Prosthetic







   At the beginning of this project I wanted to do an Iron Man inspired leg prosthetic. Halfway through I realized I couldn’t do a couple of the things I wanted to do. So the prosthetic was modified in order to suit my skill level better. Some parts where kept the same like the shin guard, upper gears, and the back thrusters. But the way the leg and foot were made was changed to a much simpler design.

   I worked my way from the top down on my prosthetic, starting with the gears so that it looks like they are bolted to the person’s knee. Those were made simply using cylinders that were later filleted. The calf part is made up of rings that connect to each other for a layered effect. The same idea follows into the foot part; it’s made up of many small sections to give the illusion that the foot is moving as if there was something actually in it. The shin piece is modified pyramid that was scaled to elongate it to fit the front of the piece.  The back thruster like part is purely decorative. It doesn’t have a real purpose but to look like it could actually fly. They piece was made with a cone that was Boolean differenced using the leg to create a cradle. Then flattened cubes where stacked in top of each other to create the grill like effect.


   Since my prosthetic is for all tense and purposes part of a robot the entire piece is made out of metal. However I went with a primary color scheme to sort of make the prosthetic more playful. It sort of ends up having a toy quality to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment