Monday, February 29, 2016

Julio Romero: 3D Print





Near the end of my first semester in college I made a charcoal drawing of an armadillo, and I have grown very fond of it, so I decided to create a 3D version of it. I also wanted to make something that I could use to hold it still so that it wouldn't roll around. In digital medium, an object can be both infinitely large or small, but by comparing its size relative to another object, it can help create a sense of scale.
The two base pieces began with a a revolved curve that I then duplicated and scaled. For the armadillo I started out with a sphere, and then I made a curve that went from the center to the end of it, which I then polar arrayed multiple times and then projected onto the sphere. I also used two circles that I rotated at an angle to split the projected curves into the "shell" and the "spine". Offsetting the pre-existing surfaces of the sphere didn't work very well, so I instead used sweep2 to make new surfaces from the curves I made, and then using a small line, I used sweep1 o create the middle faces, and then closing the shapes by using sweep2 on the edges of those surfaces and then joining the surfaces together into groups.
For the arm shells I simply scaled the spine inwards and then trimmed the triangular ends into more rectangular shapes. The arms, claws, tail, head, and ear all began by duplicating the interior face of the shell, and then were either copied and rotated or mirrored across a line to make the opposite face and then lofted together. I finished off by filleting all of the edges.
To create two different scales in KeyShot, I decided to make one render look like a small paperweight and another look like a giant sculpture. For the first one I used a glass material on the armadillo and a wood material for the larger base, and for the second render I used a scratched up metal material for the armadillo to make it look weathered, and a stone material for the smaller base to make it appear solid and capable of holding the weight. I then positioned the camera either at a high or low angle to create different scales.

No comments:

Post a Comment