Sunday, February 28, 2016

Tara Intyrath: Week 5 - Prosthetic Accessory



Concept: I made several sketches and worked with an associate of mine before deciding on a final base design. I decided on this one which is based on wanting to make something "alien" like iridescent, similar to the sheen of a scarab beetle. I made a few changes to the final model to make it more sturdy and stable by not leaving many "holes" or blank spaces in the final design. The name of this design is Tesseract.
Technique: To create my design I used a lot of curves as a base. I wanted to create my own foot and I made that using minimal curves and used a Sweep2 to create a surface. I split the foot into three parts because I wanted to make it more flexible with joints. I used some helix curves to make a sort of spring at the bottom of the foot for more support. I made plenty of use of FilletEdge for all the rough/sharp edges, boolean join, boolean remove, and boolean split to make some details. I used a Sweep2 to also make the sleeve. I then used smash to make a copy of the sleeve but flattened so I know the dimensions of how my design would fit when I use the flow along srf command. I created the design using multiple rectangle solids, laying them on top of another to make a sort of wrap. Then I made a structure for the wraps to lay on. I split the whole sleeve in half so that way instead of having to slide the sleeve on you can just snap it together.
Materials: For my materials I chose one aluminum metal material for the pipe but plastic materials for the rest of the model. I chose a clear plastic material for the structure or support because I wanted people to be able to see through the prosthetic. I chose a shiny plastic for the "wraps" of the design to make it stand out more against the support.

No comments:

Post a Comment