Monday, February 29, 2016

Travis Fowler: Hammer

Concept:

I didn't stray too far off the beaten path for this assignment, I followed the tutorial almost entirely except for the handle. I added a disconnect between the front and the back of the handle and added in some support beams. I was inspired by one of those hand-exercise machines and I tried to incorporate the same cylinder-based Boolean operations  in the handle.

Techniques:

Getting some more practice using the curve tool to outline profiles for extrusion was nice. I really enjoyed seeing how to combine multiple types of extrusions and how to implement older techniques, such as revolve and extrude with the new sweep commands. I had already fiddled around with the sweep commands for a bit and after I finished the hammer I started experimenting with the sweep commands on a high-heel shoe last and a pendant model. I learned that if the rail that you sweep curves and changes direction too frequently or sharply that you need to add in cross sections to guide the extrusion along. I ended up going back to the model and completely jacking-up the head leading to a hasty repair job that left the head of my hammer in pieces. :(

 

Materials:

I decided, as much as it broke my heart, to not make a hammer out of glass. It didn't seem to make much sense to me but I did however, in my infinite wisdom, manage to pick one of the softest metals that probably wouldn't do much good against any other hard surface. The copper material just looked so appealing against the matte black plastic that I couldn't resist, regardless of structural integrity.



No comments:

Post a Comment