Sunday, February 7, 2016

Victoria Mayfield: Hammer

Concept: When I first started modeling this hammer, I thought I was just going to go with a classic hammer. When I was looking online for different reference ideas, nothing was really sparking my interest. I ended up going with the idea of a toy hammer after playing with the helix tool and imagining it as a spring for my hammer. I wanted the body of the hammer to be more rounded and slim, like something a child would be able to use. I also liked the idea of the embellishments being rounded and simple, like a child's toy would be. 

Modeling: The modeling process was pretty straightforward for the most part. I was having some difficulties with the fillet tool for the claw section of the hammer, but eventually was able to get it to work properly. I used tools like curves, helix, revolve and Boolean union. I used Boolean two objects in order to get the open section of the claw, which was really easy and a tool that I had never used before. As I mentioned before, I did have some issues at first with the filleting tool, but after I understood how it worked I was able to use it to finish off the edges of my model for a more polished look. 


Materials: I chose the materials I did because I wanted the materials to match that of a toy hammer. The head of the hammer and the body are made from a clear blue plastic, as I imagine any toy to be. I made the claw section of the hammer and the embellishments the same just to keep the color scheme matching on the piece. The material was technically a purple metal, but in the render I think it comes off more as a shiny plastic, which I liked in contrast with the clear blue plastic. Then I made the spring a shiny silver metal to appear as if when the hammer was shaken the head would wobble back and forth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment