Monday, February 29, 2016

Travis Fowler: Duck-Dive

Concept:

When the assignment was to model a duck I got kind of excited. The model from the tutorial reminded me too much of a rubber ducky so I decided to take the design in a more realistic direction. The duck I modeled is mid-dive into catching its prey and has been suspended in a box that represents the water.

Technique:

Being able to use control points was liberating, I was no longer stuck with the most primitive shapes and their infinite combinations. I knew once moving a lattice of points to deform an object in 3D space came into play things would get messy quickly. I was correct. The control points quickly became skewed and symmetry was quickly lost when trying to move the control points int the perspective window. Snap to grid became my best friend to get all the control points in their basic order before going into minute detail with the control points.


Materials:

I didn't want to continue the trend of using a monotonous material scheme, so I decided to combine shiny plastics for the duck and my favorite glass from the castle assignment for the water. The transparency of the glass does a fair job emulating water, however the clean look of the glass matches the smooth and clean lines of the duck. The shiny plastic helps showcase the gleam of a wet duck feather.

No comments:

Post a Comment