Monday, February 29, 2016

Travis Fowler: Mouse

Concept:

I had eggs over easy for breakfast before heading into the lab. Sometimes inspiration comes from a strange place, I don't even care for eggs that much. The idea popped into my head after I realized how much the blank rendered material looks like egg-shell white and the original form of the mouse was very egg-shaped. I stuck with the theme, making the buttons flakes of pepper and the scroll-wheel a cross-section of green onion.

Techniques:

The loft command on my first take seemed a bit lazy and unpredictable, I quickly began to think of how to complete the assigned tutorial using the sweep commands but I figured that wasn't in the spirit of the tutorial. I made a good decision in refining and adjusting my curves and retrying the loft command. The loft command makes very elegant and low-density surfaces that appear to be very good for adding detail to. Loft is a command that in my own free-time has only appeared in the beginning of my work flow for a piece.

Materials:

The materials I chose were based off of the egg design and therefore weren't too hard to find. I used a glossy material for both the egg yolk and egg white, while using soft plastics for the buttons and wheel. I think the preset range of materials that Keyshot provides is absolutely fantastic. I never knew there were so many different types of plastics and the sheer number provides a hint as to their importance in modeling/design for manufactured products.

No comments:

Post a Comment