Monday, February 8, 2016

Ashley D Goodenough: Detergent Bottle

Concept: The design for my detergent bottle got sort of out of hand, but I’m warming up to the results. I wanted it to have balance, but also have some pretty dramatic curvature in the overall shape as well as cutouts. I went crazy on the curve projection and ended up with a bottle that looks like a horrifying face from the side view. 
Modeling: This bottle was primarily made using curve tools and curve analysis. This ensured tangency and that the form would have volume and be a water-tight build. I also used sweep2, cap, filleted edges and blended edges.  Split, Booleans in all their forms, Cap, Explode, and Patch were used to close and combine objects. To create custom cross sections curves, I used control point curves and arcs.
Materials: Detergent bottles are really only made of one or two materials at the most in real life, right? For the body of my bottle, I used three contrasting colors of soft rough plastic. I did this to accent the curved features of the handle and bottle base curve. For the lid, I decided to use a clear rough plastic with a light gray color to make the threaded bottle top and threaded lid visible.

No comments:

Post a Comment