Sunday, February 14, 2016

Christopher Clark USB


 Concept- For this model, I decided to model my own USB flash drive that I wear on my key chain. I feel that the compact design and rounded corners reminiscent of the base of a key make this flash drive a portable simplistic device. I also wanted to ensure that the flash drive wouldn't appear cheap or filmsy, so I made sure that the base was just big enough to give the flash drive a fullness without being bulky.


Modeling Techniques- I used a bitmap to model the head of this flash drive with an image. I offset curves in order to give the head of the flash drive depth, creating to surfaces and lofting them together. I used a similar technique for the rounded rectangular holes in the head. I also used Extrude Curves a lot this assignment, giving certain things length and creating the base for larger pieces, like the casing, which is extruded from a filleted circle and rectangle. I also, of course, filleted the edges in order to create a sleeker, more rounded flash drive.


Materials- I used a rough black plastic for the casing so as to best match my actual flash drive while also contributing to the infered stabilty and durability of the flash drive. I used an aluminum texture for the head of the flash drive because it reflected the light in the best way to match a flash drive. I did, however, use a different more specular material on the inner pieces of the head in order to make them more noticable in their darker casing and match an actual flash drive more closely.




No comments:

Post a Comment