Monday, February 29, 2016

Stefan Babick: Midterm Prosthetic Accessory



Heavily Inspired by the Reynisfjara Beach in Iceland and The Giant's Causeway of Northern Ireland, I wanted to combine strong hexagonal themes with a sense of flow. I decided on a bottom heavy design symbolic of heavy stone. The golden ratio provided the flow I needed on the upper extremity of my design. 


I started with a curve to create a spiral that was manipulated via control points until I reach the sense flow I wanted. Along this curve I created my hexagonal prisms by placing several six sided polygon-curves that I then Patched and ExtudeSrf'd. I had left my sketches loose knowing that the dimensions of the hexagonal prisms would take shape based on the dimensions of their surrounding prisms. I used ScaleNU to scale just the Y dimensions of the prisms. I then Filleted all convex edges and joined together the polysurfaces.





Knowing how quickly high gloss surfaces smudge and scratch, I decided on a rough sandstone material for the accessory. The foot material is a hard, rough plastic to ensure nonslip fitting of shoes while walking. 


No comments:

Post a Comment