Sunday, February 28, 2016

Charlotte Guzman-Russell - Prosthetic Accessory: Ikari Boot

Concept: For this model, I wanted to make something robotic looking but also sleek and sporty. One of my biggest inspirations for this model was based off of the giant robotic beings known as "Evas" from the anime Neon Genesis Evangelion. I wanted to keep the color palette to 3 colors so it was interesting but not too cluttered. My final model is a little different from my original concept as I couldn't figure out how to model certain parts, but I'm happier with the final result. While it's not visible in the renderings, I also added a clip attachment to the inner pole so the prosthetic can be stable. Since Professor Scott said we had full artistic control over the project, I ended up making the leg more artistic than functional, but there are protheses out there like that. The name of the boot is a nod to the show since Ikari is the main character's last name. Interestingly enough, the Kanji for ikari, "碇", translates to "anchor" which I think is also a good description for a prosthetic, since it provides stability  and grounding for a person.



 




Technique: I used curves to create the basic shape of the leg last and then the NetworkSrf to form the last itself. I used MoveUVN to create the chunky sole and the arch in the foot. I utilized the ProjectCurve tool a lot in my model which helped me create the "brace" as well as the vents, the racing stripes, the holes for screws, and the hole near the top of the foot. I used the Loft and BlendSrf tools to patch up an unwanted hole I had and to get rid of naked edges. I chamfered some of the edges boot to make it less sharp but still mechanical looking. Once I had a what I wanted I used the OffsetSrf tool to make the last more solid and get rid of any extra naked edges.





Materials: I used a variety of hard shiny plastics for the base of the boot because I wanted it to look sleek and attractive like a race car while still looking robotic. I used warm emissive light material for the racing stripes and the other lights on the boot. I used a soft rough plastic for the sole of the boot to make it look more rubbery and grippy. I provided different color palettes in my last Keyshot render to show potential options a client could have and pick one based on their personality or aesthetics. 


This project was challenging but very fun to work on and I am excited to see the other interesting designs the class comes up with.


No comments:

Post a Comment