Monday, February 29, 2016

Eric Lam - Prosthetic Accessory: Striated

Concept: For my prosthetic accessory, I chose to create something that looked similar to human tissue, more specifically striated muscle tissue. It doesn't look exactly like striated muscle tissue but it's what I imagine whenever I think of muscles. My accessory is also inspired by games and animations that show body enhancements through synthetic muscles.


Technique: I used picture frames to create references to my front and side views of my sketches. I traced the outline of my accessory with curves from both views and used sweep2 to create the basic shape. I turned points on to fine tune the shape. After fine tuning, I selected the shape and used the smash command to create a plane that looked like an unwrapped version of the shape. I created the "muscle fibers" of the accessory, extruded pieces, cut pieces with boolean difference, and finally used flowalongsrf to place the design onto the accessory.


Materials: For the materials I chose mainly plastic for the sleeve. Black rough plastic for the main shape, soft rough orange and yellow for the details in the middle, and shiny red plastic for the "muscle fibers" to bring it apart from the rest. The foot is black carbon fiber since it's supposed to be strong, flexible, and light weight and the pipe is aluminum.



No comments:

Post a Comment