Monday, February 15, 2016

Victoria Mayfield: USB


Concept: When I began looking for other reference images for my USB I didn't really find any I liked more than the one that the tutorial referenced, so I decided to use that. I did find some USB drives that had lights on them so I wanted to find some way to incorporate that idea into my model. I eventually decided on adding an ornamental piece to the top of the USB that would shine an LED light through from the inside. I chose to change edges of the USB to be a little bit different than the ones pictured. I also decided that I did not want to have the actual USB symbol on the piece like the reference image does.

Modeling: To create the body of the USB I used the rectangle tool the arc tool. I was then able to create another smaller rectangle inside of the larger one in order to cut out the divots on each side. I used the project tool to project the shape of a rounded rectangle to get the original cutout for each divot. I then used the sweep 2 tool and the fillet tool in order to create smoothed cut outs in each side of the USB. This gave me some trouble when I began filleting the edges, some of them rails I made did not line up, and I didn't realize it until after I had already swept the rails. I was able to correct this by creating new rails, sweeping the edges, and filleting again. I then used an oval shape to ornament the top of the USB. 


Materials: For the materials I decided to stick with simple colors. I used a shiny blue plastic for the body of the USB because I liked the sheen and how clean it made the body look. For the oval LED ornament on top, I used a clear blue plastic as I wanted it to flow with the body of the USB. I also chose the clear blue color because I imagined a light would appear from within this ornament when the USB was in use. For the head of the USB, I used a shiny aluminum metal. I wanted this part of the model to also appear clean, and I believe these materials reflect that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment