Monday, February 29, 2016

Rafael Garcia: Ronin - Prosthetic Accessory

Concept: For my design I wanted to try and emulate a futuristic armored samurai boot frequently found in video game designs. The design is seen throughout anime, video games, and comic books. The general shape was easy enough to come up with, but finding a pattern to emphasize pieces was was a bit more difficult. I looked up  art of that time (flags etc.) and found a pattern I thought would be great for this accessory.




Technique: I love Command: _SrfPt. Absolutely fantastic for low poly designs. I used the perspective method to draw the general shape underway. I then used _SrfPt to make divisions and add pieces building upwards, each connected to the pipe.The facets would clip on to the pipe. I made the pattern for the surfaces with heavy contrast lines in Inkscape and exported to be used as a color texture in keyshot. To get the general shape I outlined my own leg in photoshop with a mirror and then detailed it.






 Materials: I chose to combine wood and carbon fiber in my first render. I feel that it keeps the samurai origin/future feel and are very sturdy materials. The second render is primarily see-trough plastic. This would be very cost effective and would clip on to the pipe easily in segments. The emissive aspects would be LE wire wrapped around the surface to help the futuristic look.  Ideally carbon fiber would be used for flexibility and sturdiness.


No comments:

Post a Comment