Monday, February 29, 2016

Travis Fowler: Flashlight



Concept:

This design of mine was inspired indirectly from the tentacle of an octopus. I had originally wanted to make a flashlight that was covered in octopus suction cups but I overestimated the power of my good friend Boolean Union. The only part of the design that remains is the offset circular pattern of the holes that are part of the honeycomb.

Technique:

This project was my first encounter with the finicky aspects of rhino. The basic revolve around axis of the profile was straightforward enough but once I began detailing the body of the flashlight  I ran into some problems. I had originally had toroid-shaped "suction cups" arranged in a spiral around the body but when I used the Boolean addition command, the union failed. I figured out through deductive reasoning that there are certain objects that provide difficult edge management in 3D space, namely the dreaded yet ever so appealing toroid. Nevertheless, being exposed to curves and the revolve command sparked an interest in this type of surface creation and I began exploring the sweep 1 and 2 commands, neither of which made an appearance in this piece.

Materials:

The basic materials were easy to determine, something that looks waxy and dull and might be semi-translucent. I tried a couple of material combinations and these two shades of a matte-finished plastic turned out sweet as honey. I stuck with my love of glass as a first contender which quickly proved to be a bad idea. I wanted the light to not only shine out of the end but also from the darker orange parts of the body, however the way I sectioned the light proved that to be in very bad taste. I learned that if I wanted to use transparent materials that the internal structure of the model might need to be changed in Rhino so the model appears correct in Keyshot.

No comments:

Post a Comment